Invitation to Primary Schools
We would like to invite your school to take part in the DCU Hour of Code with preservice teachers at the Institute of Education, St Patrick’s Campus, Drumcondra.
A student from DCU’s Institute of Education on School Placement in your school may request to facilitate an Hour of Code in your school with a class group. If you are in agreement the student will arrange to teach the Hour of Code lesson with the class teacher at a time that is suitable.
Depending on current restrictions in travel and attendance of school, this lesson could be facilitated either remotely online or face to face in class.
Why should your school participate?
- The class will receive an Hour of Code Certificate to recognise their participation.
- Classes completing the Hour of Code will be eligible to enter into the draw to visit the Microsoft DreamSpace microsoft.com/dreamspace including €500 towards bus hire.
- Coding is now a key aspect of STEM Education in primary schools. The Hour of Code supports your school in the implementation of the STEM Education Policy.
- Participating in the Hour of Code may help your school in working towards being Highly Effective in the Learner Experiences Domain as set out in the Digital Learning Framework.
- The Hour of Code can be included as evidence for the SFI Discover Science and Maths Award.
- Your school is providing an opportunity for a future teacher to give something back to the schools for all the times they have hosted student teachers for school placements.
If you would like to participate in this Hour of Code with our students, please register your interest at hourofcodedcu.ie/school-expression-of-interest. For more information please see the Information for Schools (PDF).